Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mama used to say..........

My mama used to say "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop" . Well, if that is true, and the devil paid a visit to MY house today, I know he threw his hands up and left, frustrated.
Today was the seasonal switch with my wardrobe, and believe me, that is some undertaking. You see, I moved two years ago from a 4 bdrm, 3 1/2 bath, 3300 sq ft. home to my "darling bungalow" which is (was...I'll explain later) 2 bdrm 2 bath, built in 1943 when putting closets in a home was a new idea. Those were the times when people owned two pair of shoes, Sunday-go-to-meetin, and work shoes. Their wardobes were also very scant, one Sunday outfit, 2-3 everyday outfits...period. Hence, my closets in the bunglaow, all two of them, are the size of a large refrigerator! It takes a lot of inguinity to figure out where to put everything. i.e. I own about 16 pair of WHITE pants, all the way from shorts, bermudas, peddle pushers, cargos, jeans, etc. Now that doesn't include the colored pants! BTW, children of mine, you have my permission to have me committed if you see me buy any more white pants! Wellll, last winterI bought a large , I mean LARGE plastic container with wheels and snap on lid, where I store my out-of-season clothes, in the garage. Also, the lovely large desk I owned was too big for my bungalow so I sold it, and now my "desk" is under my bed, in another plastic container with rollers and snap lid. Man, I'm INTO thos e containers...All the "stuff" that was in my desk is now compartmentalized under the bed in one container. LOVE it! To explain the "was" above, I renovated a lot of the house, taking out walls, putting French doors, extending the very small bathroom out 7 ft. and added an antique clawfoot tub...But, sadly, no place to extend closet space.....I plan to scale down the wardrobe BIGTIME as soon as I can figure out which white pants and Black sweaters (another weakness that needs' addressing) I can live without. So, today I washed, ironed and hung umpteen pieces of clothing, and I'm dog tired. Gonna go eat lunch before it becomes dinner time! (It's 3;30 p.m.)

10 comments:

Matt said...

Boy, do I know what you mean about the large plastic containers. I have about six or seven. And I, too, have absolutely no closet space. I can't imagine building a new home and not having a closet nearly as big as my bedroom. Someday, maybe. Anyway, good post. Talk to you soon.

Mom8 said...

I hear ya Matt....when space is tight, they're lifesavers. But you have 3 bdrms,,,,what's with YOUR closet space??? Hmmm? I know you're not a hoarder, or collector!~

Matt said...

My problem is that I take good care of everything I own so nothing wears out and I want to keep it all in case I need it some day. Well, years later I still don't need it but I sure as heck still have it! lol

Anonymous said...

I wear everything out because I don't shop very much for myself. I have gotten to the point that if I haven't used it in a year then I get rid of it. (with the exception of things in the kitchen)

It's made life so much easier. Hey, I haven't been able to access Julie's blog. Anyone know what the deal is?

tashabud said...

I need to unclutter and simplify our house also. I don't think I can do it on my own, though. I think I need the help of a few clutter-free fairies.

Oops, I wanted to say more, but I just noticed the clock, and I'm suppose to meet my hubby for lunch, so I have to run. I'll be back again. As always, so far, I enjoyed reading your postings.

Jules said...

Well now I no why DJ (stepmom) started laughing at me when she saw me yesterday.
I was wearing my brand new outfit, white capri's and a black tee, silver belt, and darling new shoes!
hahahah
She said "Did you read your mom's blog today?"
"No, Why?"
"Oh she wrote the cutest article about how many pairs of white pants and black sweaters she has."
"ARggggg, Bobby keeps telling me that I look like my mother in this and that."
Ha!

As far as the need for more closet space and more storage , DON'T DO IT! Your system and the "old days" programs work best!

I have every closet in my house packed. Every time I get one paired down, I feel like that gives me liscense to go fill it.
I am trying so very hard to live by the, "If you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it" rule!

DJ and I took some clothes and books to a consignment store. I hope to recoop some $ and actually save it. I'm not doing very well on the program but steadily pairing down the crappola!

Mom8 said...

Tashabud, thanks for joining us, and do keep reading...I get funnier when I'm not overwhelmed...LOL.
Jules....teeheeheee, I got some black sweaters I need to dispose of, what em???????
I wonder what goes thru my mind when I'm shopping and pick up yet ANOTHER black sweater, knowing full well I won't live long enuf to wear all the ones I have, even if I DO live to 150. Now when I go into a store, my mantra running thru my head is NO CLOTHES, and if that doesn't work and I happen to shashay near a rack, the next Mantra is NO BLACK OR WHITE!!! I guess the devil hits the pause button on the tape deck in my head, cuz next thing you know, I'm at the cashier with 7-8 items , all black or white!!

Jules said...

Yes Mom I do want any rejects!
(it don't count against me if they are free) hheheheh
I plan on doing some more cleaning out of closets today. I am going to tell the boys to give me all their summer clothes and I am going to put them in the local resale shop! We can give the proceeds to Duke! (SR)

Jules said...

chirp ---- chirp----chirp----
(cricket noise)

Unknown said...

Do you still use free service like blogspot.com or wordpress.com but
they have less control and less features.
shift to next generation blog service which provide free websites for
your blog at free of cost.
get fully controllable (yourname.com)and more features like
forums,wiki,CMS and email services for your blog and many more free
services.
hundreds reported 300% increase in the blog traffic and revenue
join next generation blogging services at www.hyperwebenable.com
regards
www.hyperwebenable.com