Wednesday, May 14, 2008

There but for the Grace of God

How often do we take for granted the fact that we can get out of bed without help, go to work, even though we may not want to, feed ourselves, perform daily hygiene routines, etc.

Yesterday, I was in a huge rush, having many many tasks on my plate, rushing here, there, doing chores, attending a luncheon, getting home just in time to welcome visitors...was the house clean enough? Will they think it's ok for the purpose they were coming for? (I was being interviewed by a brother and sister whose Mother I will be caring for in my home). After they left, I rushed to grab my purse and jump in the car to go to the hospital to visit a friend. I had to put up the dogs so I could get the car out of the gate, back out, close the gate, let the dogs out again, back in the car, backing out when I noticed a young lady in a wheelchair in the middle of the street, stopped in her tracks. Traffic stopped behind her, I watched for a moment until I realized she couldn't move. I got out of the car, walked over to her and said "sweetie, there are cars behind you, you'll have to come over to the curb. She mumbled something I didn't understand...she was slumped to her right side, trying to get her arm up to the toggle switch that controls her wheelchair. I asked if I could help, and she said yes, so I steered the chair to the curb. She said she was very hot (sun was bearing down on her) so I got an umbrella and gave it to her to shade herself. I got back in my car, waited to see if she was going to manage ok, but she dropped the umbrella several times, didn't seem as tho she could manage it. I got back out of the car again, tried to affix the umbrella to her headrest, .....no go. It nearly poked her in the eye. I asked her where she lived, and she said two block west. I asked her if I could drive her home in the chair, she said yes, so I locked my car, held the umbrella over her and steered the wheelchair to her apt. (It was a wild ride. I couldln't manage it well from my position. We went really fast some times, then it would stop and I couldn't get it going).

Finally reaching her apt. I asked if she had a key. She said no, and the door was locked. I said "do you live alone?" She said she had two children who live with her and her son should be home, so I knocked on the door. No answer...Knocked louder, no answer,pounded on the door, all the while hearing the TV blaring and smelling the lovely aroma of Marijuana wafting thru. I asked her what to do, and she said to just leave her there, he would come out. Not wanting to, I did have to go to the hospital, so I left.

While talking to this young lady, I found out she was 45 yrs old (looked 35) and had MS..Multiple Sclerosis. Having taken care of MS patients, I know they cannot endure heat, they lose all muscle strength when overheated. This is why she could not operate the wheelchair.

As I walked away from the apt. I thought to myself, "what a desolate, hopeless situation. A disease that entails full care , kids that are burdened at a young age taking responsibility, and probably overwhelmed to the point that pot smoking is their only fun in life."

My head never hits the pillow without thanking God for my wonderful family, for their good health, safety, and for my own good health and wonderful life. I don't know how I got so lucky!

The next time someone angers you in traffic, instead of cursing, think of her. Count your blessings and thank your maker every day.

6 comments:

proudmama said...

Thank you for that post Mom8. I too try to remember "There but for the Grace of God" anytime I want to feel sorry for myself. Then I feel ashamed. :-)
DJ

Matt said...

What a truly inspirational story, Mom. Of course you would be the one to offer your help while others sat behind her in the street not wanting to be bothered! The woman could have died of heat stroke. I know God has a special place reserved for you in Heaven. And yes, we are all very lucky, indeed. Thanks for the post.

Mom8 said...

awwww, what great comments. Thanks proudmama, do you also have a disability? Tell me about your life...
Matt, ...........sigh.........love U

Jules said...

Mom,
You are so cute!
Proudmama is Donna! - DJ

I loved the story too. God gives us little reminders of how blessed we really are! I try to keep that in mind myself but need a nudge (shove) every once in a while.

Thanks for the nudge mama!

Love you... Keep posting!
#5

Mom8 said...

Well, I'll be doggoned! I didn't know that Donna was proudmama....Welcome D! Jewels, I think you need the nudges mostly in traffic, LOL, but just remember that nothing is worth getting all mad and worked up about...Stay happy, it's a choice!

tashabud said...

You're a true Good Samaritan. We need more people like you in this wild and crazy world we're in. I'm saddened by that woman's plight. I hope she and her family are okay.